19 09 2019

RDJ advises West Cork Distillers on buyout

RDJ advised West Cork Distillers (WCD) on its buyout of the majority stake in the business held by the UK-based Halewood group.


WCD also secured capital from the Ireland Strategic Investment Fund for an expansion of the business.

Founded in 2003 in Union Hall, West Cork by three lifelong friends, Denis McCarthy, Ger McCarthy and John O’Connell, WCD has grown substantially over the years, now exporting to 35 countries. In 2013, WCD moved to a new larger premises in Skibbereen. The company is primarily focused on producing high-quality Irish whiskey, which currently accounts for up to 95% of the business, while its Garnish Island Gin makes up the remaining 5%, and rising.

The RDJ deal team was led by Corporate Partner Sinead Corcoran and included Tax Partner Mark Barrett and Associates, Eoghan Doolan, Jennifer Dempsey and Mark Ludlow.

04 Mark Barrett 1195x730

Mark Barrett

Chartered Tax Adviser

81 Mark Ludlow 1195x730

Mark Ludlow

Senior Associate