Partner, Cork Office
Brendan is a Partner, practising as part of the firm's Banking and Finance team. He has experience advising in commercial property and banking acting both on behalf of banks but also on behalf of property developers, large companies, receivers, liquidators and examiners. Brendan specialises in all aspects of banking and finance, focusing on transactions in the areas of corporate lending, acquisition finance, asset financing, secured and unsecured lending, property finance, the restructuring/enforcement of loans and loan portfolio sales and purchases.
Brendan is a Past President of the Southern Law Association, a member of the Council of the Law Society for the last 9 years, a former chairman of a division of its Regulation of Practice Committee and current vice- chair of its Education Committee. He is recommended as a leading Banking and Finance lawyer in The Legal 500.
- University College Cork on multiple significant financing matters related to campus expansion, student accommodation and development of research centres as well as acquisition of additional sites required for the expansion of the university. Representative matters include advising
- in connection with Guarantees being made available by UCC to Bank of Ireland to secure substantial overdrafts to entities controlled by UCC including IMI, Mardyke Leisure (UCC) DAC and Campus Accommodation (UCC) DAC.
- Purchase and financing of St Vincent’s Church and site, at Sunday Well, Cork
- in negotiating and drawing down a €33m loan from Housing Finance Agency; restructuring the Bank of Ireland facilities for each of its subsidiaries.
- in connection with development funding from the Housing Finance Agency (“HFA”) to fund the construction of a 255 bed student accommodation on the site of the Crow’s Nest complex at Bishopstown, Cork
- Drawdown of funds from Ulster Bank in connection with the purchase by it of existing student accommodation developments at VC1 and VC2 at Victoria Cross, Cork; University Hall in Wilton, Cork, and Mardyke Hall, Cork.
- The purchase and financing of its Executive Education Centre in Lapps Quay and the purchase and its funding of its site for the new proposed Business Campus in South Terrace, Cork
- Bank of Ireland in financing a 66 house residential development in a Cork suburb, a 28 unit development in Blackrock Cork, and other residential developments in Carrigaline, Macroom, Midleton, Ballincollig, Millstreet, all County Cork, Mount Merrion in Dublin and Killarney in County Kerry (by way of example)
- Castlehaven Property Finance DAC -advised Castlehaven in relation to the provision of loan facilities to O’Brien & O’Flynn Unlimited Company (in liquidation and in receivership) and its subsidiaries to finance the rescue of the company and allow its return to normal status, and to provide for development financing in respect of residential sites owned by the Group at Sarsfield Road and Passage West, Cork.
- Exinda Ireland Limited (a subsidiary of Exinda Inc. which is a Delaware technology company) on borrowing revolving and term loans from WF Fund V Limited Partnership (a North American fund with investment focus on knowledge-based industries) to refinance existing debt and for working capital and general corporate purposes.
University College Cork (BCL)
Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland.
Past President of the Southern Law Association.
Member of the Council of the Law Society and a Vice Chairman of its Regulation of Practice Committee and Vice Chairman of its Education Committee
Brendan Cunningham has the ‘highest of service standard– The Legal 500
Brendan is recommended as a leading Banking and Finance lawyer in The Legal 500.– The Legal 500
UCC receives €50m funding for new Cork business school
RDJ is advising University College Cork on a EUR 50 million loan by the European Investment Bank.
Beechbrook Capital provide follow-on capital to the BHSL Group to facilitate growth
RDJ advised Beechbrook Capital on the provision of follow-on capital to the BHSL Group to facilitate their continued growth following the acquisition of Glan Agua Ltd.
RDJ lawyers recognised as “Leaders in their Field” by Chambers Global 2022
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers has recognized three RDJ Partners as “Leaders in their Field” for 2022.
CBI Review Finds Weaknesses in Risk Management Frameworks in Credit Union Industry
CBI Review Finds Weaknesses in Risk Management Frameworks in Credit Union
Update on Guidance issued by the Office of Government Procurement with respect to material price inflation
Update on Guidance issued by the Office of Government Procurement with respect t
RDJ advises West Cork Distillers on refinancing to support growth
RDJ advised West Cork Distillers (WCD), a leading producer of craft Irish whiskey and spirits, in raising a suite of bespoke working capital and other facilities with Bank of ...