Partner, Cork Office
Cian is a Partner, practising as part of the Banking and Finance team. Cian is highly skilled with considerable experience advising on finance transactions including acquisition finance, real estate and development finance, debt restructuring and loan portfolio sales. Cian delivers successful results by partnering with clients to strategically guide them through challenges.
Cian’s particular strength and focus is on lending to corporate groups for expansions (whether acquisitions or developments).
He acts for a number of domestic and international banks, alternative finance providers and non-bank lenders. He also acts for a wide range of corporate borrowers, particularly in the construction, healthcare and hospitality sectors.
- Advised University College Dublin on a new €350 million facility with the European Investment Bank to fund campus development.
- Advised a leading Irish food group on its entry into syndicated banking facilities exceeding €200m to fund future growth and acquisitions and a €35m facility with the European Investment Bank relating to the expansion of the group’s manufacturing facilities.
- a private hospital group on its entry into syndicated banking facilities to fund development of the groups facilities and acquisition of a new hospital
- Advised University College Cork on its entry into €100m facility with the European Investment Bank
- Advised an Irish pillar bank on the provision of acquisition financing to a large waste disposal business in excess of €20m and various overdraft, finance lease and guarantee facilities.
- Advised Beechbrook Capital, an established UK SME lender, on its establishment of an Irish SME lending fund and on the provision of acquisition financing, growth capital and MBO financing facilities to various borrowers.
- an Irish bank on the provision of development financing relating to a number of residential and student accommodation developments
- a prominent property developer on its entry into a €70m development financing facility relating to the construction of a number of office blocks
- a hospitality group on the restructuring of its existing operations, the refinancing of eight hotels, new equity raises and investor loan note issuances
- Castlehaven Finance on the provisions of facilities to the O’Brien and O’Flynn Group to allow it to exit both liquidation and examinership and to provide development finance for two residential development sites
- Advised O’Callaghan Properties on its entry into development financing with a pillar bank relating to development of two blocks of apartments at Lancaster Gate, Cork City.
BCL (University College Cork and Friedrich-Alexamder Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg)
LLM by research (University College Cork)
Diploma in Finance Law (Law Society of Ireland)
Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland.
Cian is also recognised in Who’s Who Legal: Hospitality 2021 with one client describing him as delivering advice in a "very clear and concise manner” and another adding “on a number of matters, he proposed solutions that were instrumental in moving the deals forward.– Who’s Who Legal: Hospitality 2021
clear in his advice, timely in his response times and value-adding for us at all stages of the transaction process– Chambers Europe(2022)
extremely knowledgeable and provides a standout level of service to his clients.– The Legal 500 (2022)
Beechbrook Capital provide follow-on capital to the BHSL Group to facilitate growth
RDJ advised Beechbrook Capital on the provision of follow-on capital to the BHSL Group to facilitate their continued growth following the acquisition of Glan Agua Ltd.
RDJ lawyers recognised as “Leaders in their Field” by Chambers Global 2022
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers has recognized three RDJ Partners as “Leaders in their Field” for 2022.
CBI Review Finds Weaknesses in Risk Management Frameworks in Credit Union Industry
CBI Review Finds Weaknesses in Risk Management Frameworks in Credit Union
RDJ advises West Cork Distillers on refinancing to support growth
RDJ advised West Cork Distillers (WCD), a leading producer of craft Irish whiskey and spirits, in raising a suite of bespoke working capital and other facilities with Bank of ...
Two UCC School of Law students awarded first Ronan Daly Jermyn Diversity Scholarships
Imamma Eunice Ikebuasi and Laya Little have each received a scholarship worth €5,000 and a work placement opportunity with RDJ
RDJ announces scholarships in effort to impact ethnic diversity in legal profession
RDJ has announced the provision of scholarships for students studying law at UCC. In furtherance of the firm’s strong commitment to diversity and inclusion, preference will be...