Partner, Dublin Office
Peter is a Partner, practising as part of the Dispute Resolution Team. He is a highly experienced commercial litigator, specialising in dispute resolution both in the defence of insurance claims and providing specific insurance advice to all of the major underwriters in the Irish market as well as to a significant number of Lloyds Syndicates in Ireland.
Peter's main area of practice is aviation liability claims where he advises on passengers' claims, public liability and employer's liability for all of the major airlines operating within the Republic of Ireland.
Peter also has in depth experience advising on a broad range of disputes related to the construction and financial services sectors.
- Hearing of a reference to the European Court of Justice by the Irish Supreme Court in the matter of James Elliott Construction Limited and Irish Asphalt Limited where a favourable decision in part was given by the Advocate General. This was an important case in relation to the harmonisation of standards within the European Union.
- Action on behalf of Ryanair in relation to its reference to the European Court of Justice on the Defence of extra-ordinary circumstances provided for in EU261-2004 following the Ash Cloud irruption at Eyjafjallajokul in Europe from the 15 to 23 April 2010.
- Acted as solicitor to the Marine Casualty Investigation Board providing it with advices in relation to the investigation of Maritime occurrences involving Irish registered vessels or vessels where the occurrences took place in Irish waters.
- Acted on behalf of Michele Smith DeBruin in her proceedings both at FINA and on appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport where Peter argued the cases himself.
- Acted on behalf of the corporate Defendants in the Republic of Ireland involved in a deceit case brought against them in respect of the Pyrite litigation.
- Peter is a member of FDCC (Federation of Defence and Corporate Counsel) and the Institute of Directors. He is also a main Board Director of Datalex plc and is the Chairman of its Remuneration Committee.
very deep knowledge and expertise, not only in legal issues but also in commercial and risk management matters"; adding "he brings a pragmatic and business-focused approach to his advice.– Chambers Europe
Peter Lennon has particular expertise in the defence of insurance brokerage professional negligence claims. The team handles work for a number of major insurers, including Aviva Europe– The Legal 500
Rebalancing responsibility between the occupier and visitor – Proposed Amendments Occupiers’ Liability Act 1995
Important reforms were approved by Cabinet recently which seeks to strike a balance with a property owner’s duty of care, whether they are a business or otherwise with the per...
Levelling The Defamation Playing Field
Government moves closer to amending The Defamation Act 2009
RDJ lawyers recognised as “Leaders in their Field” by Chambers Global 2022
Chambers Global: The World’s Leading Business Lawyers has recognized three RDJ Partners as “Leaders in their Field” for 2022.
Data Breach Claims: UK Court seek evidence of credible harm caused - a welcome trend in the assessment of non-material damages
Data Breach Claims: UK Court seek evidence of credible harm caused.
High Court refers questions to the European Court of Justice in “striking” Norwich Pharmacal application
High Court refers questions to the European Court of Justice
The High Court rules on Covid-19 business interruption claim by the Clarence Hotel
High Court rules on Covid-19 business interruption claim by the Clarence Hotel