Partner, Dublin Office
Peter is a Partner, practising as part of the Dispute Resolution Team. He is a highly experienced commercial litigator, specialising in dispute resolution both in the defence of insurance claims and providing specific insurance advice to all of the major underwriters in the Irish market as well as to a significant number of Lloyds Syndicates in Ireland.
Peter's main area of practice is aviation liability claims where he advises on passengers' claims, public liability and employer's liability for all of the major airlines operating within the Republic of Ireland.
Peter also has in depth experience advising on a broad range of disputes related to the construction and financial services sectors.
- Hearing of a reference to the European Court of Justice by the Irish Supreme Court in the matter of James Elliott Construction Limited and Irish Asphalt Limited where a favourable decision in part was given by the Advocate General. This was an important case in relation to the harmonisation of standards within the European Union.
- Action on behalf of Ryanair in relation to its reference to the European Court of Justice on the Defence of extra-ordinary circumstances provided for in EU261-2004 following the Ash Cloud irruption at Eyjafjallajokul in Europe from the 15 to 23 April 2010.
- Acted as solicitor to the Marine Casualty Investigation Board providing it with advices in relation to the investigation of Maritime occurrences involving Irish registered vessels or vessels where the occurrences took place in Irish waters.
- Acted on behalf of Michele Smith DeBruin in her proceedings both at FINA and on appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport where Peter argued the cases himself.
- Acted on behalf of the corporate Defendants in the Republic of Ireland involved in a deceit case brought against them in respect of the Pyrite litigation.
- Peter is a member of FDCC (Federation of Defence and Corporate Counsel) and the Institute of Directors. He is also a main Board Director of Datalex plc and is the Chairman of its Remuneration Committee.
very deep knowledge and expertise, not only in legal issues but also in commercial and risk management matters"; adding "he brings a pragmatic and business-focused approach to his advice.– Chambers Europe
Peter Lennon has particular expertise in the defence of insurance brokerage professional negligence claims. The team handles work for a number of major insurers, including Aviva Europe– The Legal 500
Amendment to Occupiers Liability on the Horizon: Benefits to Occupiers and Insurers alike
In this article, RDJ Litigation Partner Marianne Lonergan discusses the changes being introduced by the Courts and Civil Law (Misc. Provisions) Bill 2023 which was sent to the...
Government Adopts State Litigation Principles
On 21 June 2023, the Government adopted State Litigation Principles which seek to guide the State in maintaining high standards of ethics and integrity in the conduct of litig...
Does the County Registrar have jurisdiction to dismiss repossession proceedings for want of prosecution?
In our latest insight, Hilda Mannix and Stephen Maloney from RDJ’s Litigation and Dispute Resolution team examine a recent High Court decision which has clarified the limited ...
Recovery of Litigation Costs: Overview (Ireland)
RDJ Senior Associate Hilda Mannix provides an overview on rules and practice related to the recovery of litigation costs in Ireland in this Practical Law Global Practice note....
Clarification at Last! Costs Update- “Special Circumstances” and Order 53 Rule 2 (2) of the District Court Rules
A recent decision from Justice Miriam O’Regan in an Appeal from the Circuit Court to the High Court on Circuit in Cork has provided helpful guidance on the award of District C...
Court of Appeal provides guidance on proportionality in the assessment of general damages
The recent judgment of the Court of Appeal delivered on the 8th of September 2022 in Kevin Meehan v Shawcove Ltd and Ors provides helpful guidance on how the courts must appro...