Partner, Cork Office
Diarmaid is a Partner, practising across the area of Corporate and Commercial and leading our EU & Competition and Research Innovation and Technology practices. He brings a dynamic blend of expertise to the role across a range of commercial transactions, from technology and outsourcing projects to intellectual property and research and development arrangements, as well as advising on mergers and acquisitions, corporate group restructurings, joint ventures and investment transactions. Diarmaid also advises private and public sector clients on a variety of competition law matters including compliance, State Aid and merger control. With expansive insights across industries, Diarmaid delivers well-rounded and insightful solutions to clients.
In addition, Diarmaid is an established advisor on knowledge transfer interactions between industry and the research performing community. Advising Knowledge Transfer Ireland, as well as a number of Irish universities and companies, his particular expertise includes State-funded multilateral research collaborative projects between academia and industry, enabling knowledge transfer that empowers focused impact. Diarmaid has also advised extensively on IP licensing arrangements and corporate transactions, such as group restructurings, investments and mergers and acquisitions for technology and IP-focused companies.
Prior to joining RDJ, Diarmaid worked with a Magic Circle law firm in London and Brussels, advising on merger notifications before the European Commission and the UK Office of Fair Trading (now the Competition and Markets Authority) as well as on cartel and abuse of dominance cases.
- Advising Capstone Financial Services (t/a Pet Insure) on its acquisition by Agria Djurförsäkring
- Advising Focus Scientific Solutions on its acquisition by scientific and medical solutions firm Lennox.
- Advising Genesis Healthcare Automation on a marketing and development collaboration with Stryker Surgical Technologies.
- Advising O’Leary Insurances on its sale to Brown & Brown (NYSE: BRO), the sixth largest independent broker in the US.
- Lead advisor to a number of Irish Universities on intellectual property and research contract matters.
- Advising Knowledge Transfer Ireland on the development of its model collaborative research and joint ownership management agreements, a consortium agreement for the Disruptive Technology Innovation Fund and a its practical guide for directors and observers and on State aid considerations in research, development and innovation collaborations.
University of Dublin, Trinity College (LLB)
Collège d'Europe, Bruges (LLM in Advanced European Law)
Oxford Institute of Legal Practice (Diploma in Professional Legal Studies)
Admitted as a solicitor in Ireland.
a leading practitioner in his area who will give you well-informed, objective advice. He knows the terrain very well and saves clients material time as a result.– The Legal 500 (2022)
Diarmaid's attention to detail and meticulous manner made for a smooth journey through the transaction, despite repeated challenges cropping up throughout.– The Legal 500
Has an in-depth knowledge of our business. He is very matter of fact and upfront about what is going on.– Chambers Europe
Brightwater Group acquires Raretec Recruitment
RDJ advised Brightwater Group on its acquisition of Raretec Recruitment, a leading actuarial recruitment specialist.
KARL STORZ acquires AventaMed DAC
RDJ advised AventaMed DAC on its acquisition by KARL STORZ, a German medical device company that manufactures and sells endoscopes and surgical instruments.
Sandvik acquires PMT Premier Machine Tools
RDJ advised PMT Premier Machine Tools Limited on its acquisition by Sandvik, a Swedish multinational engineering company specializing in metal cutting, digital and additive ma...
Ex MMA fighter fails to land a blow on McGregor in High Court fight
Darryl Broderick and Mahbooba Faiz from RDJ’s Media Law team analyse a recent High Court refusal of an application for an order to restrain allegedly defamatory social media p...
Otonomee secures investment for expansion
Otonomee has secured a €1.5 million investment from the Martello Group to facilitate their continued international growth and development.
Phenna Group acquires Maurice Johnson & Partners
RDJ advised Maurice Johnson & Partners on its acquisition by UK testing, inspection, certification & compliance firm, Phenna Group.