Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring
Our dedicated Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring team help companies withstand complex financial challenges.Meet the team
Companies and their directors facing financial difficulties require legal advisors who understand the significant challenges they face; advisors with experience, an inherent curiosity to structure the best solution, and with a focus on long-term value for their business.
Our team have longstanding experience of providing strategic advice to distressed companies, directors and creditors, prominent insolvency practitioners, and domestic and international financial institutions. We have been involved in insolvency and restructuring matters for clients in a wide range of sectors, including the technology, healthcare, financial services, media, food and beverage, and hospitality industries.
Our Insolvency and Corporate Restructuring team work seamlessly with our lawyers in numerous other practices – including banking, real estate, tax, employment, debt recovery and corporate and commercial to minimise your risk and provide an end-to-end, high-value service.
Leaders in our field, our team have been recognised by both The Legal 500 and Chamber Europe for their work in the area of insolvency and corporate restructuring. Several are members of the Irish Society of Insolvency Practitioners.
Our work includes advising:
- companies and insolvency practitioners with respect to all aspects of examinership law;
bankruptcy and other debt restructuring arrangements;
companies, their directors and insolvency practitioners in relation to liquidations to include both creditors’ voluntary and members’ voluntary winding ups;
credit institutions, companies and individuals in relation to debt restructuring arrangements;
tax advice on all aspects of restructuring;
financial institutions in the context of borrower default to include reporting on security held;
credit institutions and insolvency practitioners in relation to all aspects of receivership law; and
debtors in financial difficulty.
Our experience includes advising:
- Danske Bank with respect to a very significant standstill and redemption arrangement.
- RSM Ireland in relation to the liquidation of McGettigan Construction and related High Court proceedings.
- Musgrave Limited and KPMG in relation to important trade receiverships.
- Pepper Finance Corporation (Ireland) DAC on a regular basis in relation to available enforcement options particularly in the context of complex receiverships and repossession proceedings.
- the special liquidators of Irish Bank Resolution Corporation Limited including acting for the joint special liquidators in the sale of the various loan portfolios, including in particular the Evergreen portfolio comprising loans in the region of €458 million.
- the joint special liquidators in the context of the ongoing legacy litigation concerning former directors of IBRC and Irish Nationwide Building Society.
- NAMA in a number of large-scale cases, including with respect to the appointment of statutory receivers, sale of distressed assets, summary proceedings, bankruptcy of debtors, examinership and winding up advises.
- AIB, Bank of Ireland and Ulster Bank in a broad range of enforcement actions including related litigation and large-scale receiverships.
- secured creditors in relation to the appointment of examiners to both Manley Construction Limited and Sammon Contracting Limited.
- petitioners and insolvency practitioners in relation to the appointment of examiners over a large hotel business, restaurant/food enterprises and construction companies.
Ashling Walsh is in a class of her own. She is focused, technically very capable and is adept at managing client expectations– The Legal 500 (2022)
very strong, commercially aware lawyer who is pragmatic and client-focused– Chambers Europe (2022)
commercial, pragmatic, responsive and innovative in seeing through complex problems and finding solutions– The Legal 500 (2022)
knowledgeable, practical and informed on subject area of expertise– The Legal 500 (2022)